Help Wanted: Write for On the Forecheck!
We're looking for a few people to help us make this site even better for the coming season.
There have already been tons of changes around here this offseason. The Predators completely overhauled their coaching staff and traded a fan favorite away for a guy that has this weird thing called "scoring talent." Oh, and there's been a few free-agent signings, too.
Now that the draft, free agency and development camp are over, we can turn our sights to the upcoming season. We have a ton of plans to make this experience even better for you, the reader, but need help in doing so. There are a handful of positions now available with us, and need some quality men and women to join our team.
Take a look below to see if you could see yourself doing any of these:
Dump & Chase Links Contributor
The daily links page is the first thing readers see in the morning, and is an invaluable resource to keep OTF readers up to date with the latest Predators news. It's also where majority of the daily conversation happens throughout the year.
The Links Contributor will aggregate stories about the Predators and the rest of the hockey world to be published. The links will run every day, but you will coordinate with Jason on the schedule of your posts. Each Dump & Chase also requires a paragraph or so detailing the day's story or other goings-on around the league. While the links won't take very long to assemble, (45 minutes or so on average) this will be a near daily commitment.
This is a great position for someone who is interested in getting into the online hockey world, and wants to hone their voice and gather more experience.
Previews and Recaps Contributor
Previews and recaps are an integral part of the blog throughout the season. They help set the table for the night ahead, give commenters the space to rant or rave about the game, as well as provide a unique perspective on the matchup and overall performance of the team.
The contributor will coordinate with Jon as to which post they will cover on game day. Previews are posted in the mornings after the Dump & Chase and recaps should be published within minutes of the final buzzer. Strong hockey knowledge is required, both of the Predators and the NHL in general.
We aren't looking for another beat writer or a boring AP style roundup, so this gives you the perfect opportunity to be creative and use your own voice. You'll need to have access to the watch the games, and be willing to commit for the entire season.
Part of wanting to expand our coverage and reach as a blog means getting more readers. With more readers, come (hopefully) more commenters.
Moderators are important not only to keep things on topic and running smoothly on a daily basis, but also stop problems before they spread. This could be anything from maintaining civility when a trade proposal gets a little too heated, to giving the boot to the trolliest of trolls.
This is an extremely important position, and those who apply need to have excellent judgement.
If you've got writing experience under your belt and know the Nashville Predators team inside and out, we'd love to hear from you. Staff writers will provide anything from in depth analysis to feature stories about the team or community. We are a very collaborative bunch, but you'll need to be able to generate your own ideas as well as build upon those we already have. Opinions are more than welcome, as long as you can back it up. (Don't just tell us you think Shea Weber is an overrated defenseman, tell us why.)
Keep these things in mind when applying:
- Those considered for writing positions will have to write a tryout post before a final decision is made.
- You have to love hockey to do this. You won't be getting paid, but the SB Nation platform is a great way to hone your craft and get your name out there. Yes, people in the Predators organization do read this site, and so do the biggest hockey publications around North America.
- We realize this won't be your number one priority, especially if you have a career or are currently in school. However, we do ask only serious applicants apply. You will be committing a good chunk of your time to the blog. Sometimes real life gets in the way, which is totally fine. That just means:
- Constant and efficient communication is a must. Especially in the case of the links and previews/recaps. These are scheduled ahead of time, so we'll need to know ASAP on the off chance you can't get to it that day.
- Age, gender, location, and even favorite team doesn't matter. Just keep in mind this is a Predators blog, so not only do you need a good understanding of the team, but are also able to keep up with them through GCL, Center Ice, etc./
If you are interested in any of the above positions, (or have any questions) send an email to otfeditor [at] gmail. Tell us a bit about yourself, your writing and hockey background, and why you would be the best candidate for the job. Please include your desired position in the subject of the email. (Ex.: HELP WANTED: Links) Good luck!